dimanche 31 août 2014

My pre-op journey

Hi everyone!



I am new to the site and thought it would be good to start recording my journey here. I am 33 years old, 5'4" and 290lbs. I have tried many of the diets that everyone else has tried, but am never successful at keeping the weight off for any length of time.

I have a good friend at work who had the gastric sleeve done, and loved it. After hearing about her success i went to my doctor to ask about weight loss surgery, and he referred me to the bariatric institute.



Never in my life would have thought that i would consider weight loss surgery. I faint at needles, reading eye charts, giving blood or even visiting people in the hospital. Seriously. I have been trying to overcome my fears of hospitals, drs, blood, etc. i have made some progress (the last time i got a needle i didn't faint, though i did lay down).

This fear started when i was very young. I was very sick as a child, and in the hospital for a period of time. It was traumatic for me to be in pain, and have no control. I didn't understand that though they caused me pain, they did so to save my life. Even though i understand that now mentally, it takes me a bit to catch up. My body and mind react automatically. I have found some coping mechanisms, and have tried to face some of my fears head on. I don't want them to control me.



I know that my health isn't great, but it could also be much worse, and if i continue this way it will get much worse. I have fibromyalgia, and i ache much of the time, with the most severe pain at night. Also, this past year i have had a lot of pain in my back, and put my back out once every month or so. I am tired of the pain and the fear of having a stroke or heart attack looming over me. Like its just a matter of time till i am in a hospital when its too late for me to make things better. I want another chance.



My biggest fear is that my depression will get out of control. Right now i take 300 milligrams of luvox per day. I have done so for the past 17 yrs. i am unable to come off of it (have tried many times and even tried switching meds). But i no longer produce serotonin anymore. I will need this medication for life. My largest concern is the absorption of the pill after surgery. I will be going for rny gastric bypass.



I had my information session yesterday, but i didn't learn anything new as i have already read 3 books on the subject and i have visited this site so much lol. What a great resource and great people here :).





Thanks for listening, and if anyone has experience with antidepressants after rny, please let me know how it went for you!





My pre-op journey

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire